Cashback from german health insurance
Cashback is a massive way to save on German health insurance costs. There are 3 different types of cashback German health insurances pay. What type(s) of cashback can you get and how much money can you get from your health insurance company? Find out in this article.
- Cashback is a benefit you can receive if you use your health insurance on a limited basis or pay the bills yourself.
- Cashback from public health insurance is offered in two different ways. First, there are health points and second, you can get money.
- Cashback from private health insurance can be much higher than cashback from public health insurance
- The highest cashback we have found so far is 45% of the monthly premiums. It is from a private health insurance.
Introduction: What exactly is Cashback?
The German health insurance system is divided into two groups. On the one hand, there is public health insurance and on the other hand, private health insurance. In Germany, most people are forced to pay for public health insurance. This system is based on solidarity and gives all contributors nearly the same insurance coverage. In the other system, private health insurance, are only authorized employees who earn more than 66.600€ gross in 2023, self-employed, freelancers, business owners, civil servants, and students. Private health insurance is not about solidarity, but about the best possible insurance coverage for oneself.
Depending on how you are insured, there are three different types of cashback. Two of them are for public health insurance and one for private health insurance. These are as follows:
- Health points for public health insurance.
- Cashback for public health insurance.
- Cashback for private health insurance
The requirements to receive the cashback are to either do not use your health insurance or to pay your medical bills on your own. However, in certain plans, you can still submit medical bills. These are, for example, bills for preventive checkups, dental cleanings, or cancer screenings. So feel free to ask your health insurance company which medical bills do not affect the cashback. In this article, we will exactly explain the three different types of cashback in more detail and how you can get them.
Public health insurance cashback
The public health insurance system in Germany is based on solidarity. This means that even if you are healthy and do not need your health insurance, your contributions are still needed for other insured people. Therefore, it is very difficult for a public health insurance company to pay you cashback. However, you may be able to receive cashback. For public health insurance, the following two options are available to you:
- Health Points: Some statutory health insurance plans in Germany offer health points. You can receive these points from the health insurance company if you live a healthy life. For this, you must, for example, go to the dentist regularly, be a member of a gym, etc. To redeem the points you receive, you usually have a catalog at your disposal. Unfortunately, you cannot exchange points for real money. However, you can exchange health points for things such as fitness equipment, health courses, future dental prosthesis, etc. It is important to note that health insurance companies can change the range of services at any time. So watch out for changes in the catalog.
- Public Cashback: With some public health insurance plans, you can get real money as cashback. You can receive this if you use your health insurance on a conditional basis. The maximum contribution you can get as cashback from public health insurance is 600€/year (see list below). This may seem very little for privately insured people, but more on this in the private health insurance cashback. The maximum 600€ you can receive as cashback may also change in the future. Therefore, pay attention to any changes.
To get more detailed information on how to get the maximum possible cashback from German health insurance companies, you should contact your health insurance provider. In general, we can tell you that you will most likely have to switch plans to receive cashback. Furthermore, we can say from our experience that the process to get cashback from German health insurance is mostly not automated yet. Thus, you will most likely have to submit a form every year. However, private health insurance companies show how this can be done better.
Private health insurance cashback
In the private health insurance system, your individual characteristics play the main role. These include, among other things, your age and health status. Unfortunately, not everyone living in Germany has the opportunity to take out private insurance. Only employees with a gross income of more than 66.600€ in 2023, self-employed, freelancers, business owners, civil servants, and students are allowed to do so. More about private health insurance here.
However, the people who can get private health insurance, are almost all eligible for cashback. You can get cashback, just like in public health insurance, if you use your health insurance only conditionally. This means that you have to pay the majority of your bills on your own. Preventive examinations, cancer screening, recommended vaccinations of the STIKO, etc. are mostly excluded from this.
If you can get private insurance and follow the regulations there, you will get a generous cashback every year at the same time. The exact amount is influenced by three conditions:
- Personal Contribution: In private health insurance, the cashback is mostly determined by monthly contributions. So if you get two monthly contributions as cashback, it means that you get back two times the total contribution that your health insurance costs per month. Thus, as an employee, you get your part and the employer’s part.
- Health Insurance Company: Each health insurance company offers different cashback models. Here there is the possibility of a fixed annual cashback of, for example, 2.5 monthly contributions to receive. Other health insurance companies offer an ascending cashback model. Here, for example, you get one monthly contribution back in the first year, depending on the experience. From the third year, the cashback amounts to two monthly premiums, and from the fifth year to three monthly premiums.
- Health Insurance Plan: Each health insurance company offers different health insurance plans. Thus, there may also be different high cashback amounts with the same health insurance company. For example, with one plan you can get a cashback of 2.5 monthly premiums plus a fixed sum of 600€, while with the same health insurance company with another plan you can get 2.5 monthly premiums plus a fixed sum of 300€ as cashback.
Each private health insurance plan offers an individual cashback model. Thus, the three factors may look different, have different effects and even some may be missing. To find out the exact cashback and cashback model of each health insurance and the one that suits you best, it makes sense to arrange a consultation. During the consultation, the respective cashback model will be explained to you and applied to your individual situation. For a free consultation, you can click here.
How much cashback can you get from private health insurance? Let’s find out together.
Conclusion: Highest Possible Cashback
The highest possible cashback we have found so far is 45%. If you think about it, you will see that with such a high cashback, you will have to pay almost nothing. Why is that? Well, your health insurance is paid 50/50 by you and your employer. If 45% is deducted from your part, you are left with a cost of only 5%. (for a whole year and will be paid out the following year).
So, what should you do? If you earn less than 66.600€ in 2023 gross, please contact your public health insurance company to check whether and how much cashback you can receive. If you earn more than 66.600€ in 2023 gross or you are self-employed, you have the option to switch to private health insurance. Feel free to book a free consultation with us and we will help you find the best private health insurance for your individual situation.